Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I got to ring the bell


My biggest problem is that my Magnesium levels are low and I am now taking two magnesium pills twice a day at least for a month. My weight was back to what it was the first time and I had a new intern a male Dr, Desmond and he gave me an external exam, heart rate and reflects etc. and Dr. Biagi did another internal exam to pass on to the radiologist and he said everything looks good. I got to ring the Bell near the exit of the Chemo Lab yesterday to signal that it was my last Chemotherapy session! They have a (large 10” high by 8” wide and very loud) ship type bell and when you ring it everyone clap’s and cheers. I was in the smaller room this time and it was a bit dull but the nurse Charity was great and my blood pressure only went up (180/81) when the lunch relief nurse took it. I even got as low as 131/70! Highest with Charity the first one was 162/88 Just one more bad weekend to go through. The next challenge will be the radiation sessions. I am to have 25 external and 3 internal treatments. Externals are done Monday to Friday and not on Holidays, and you are in the hospital for less than half an hour. The internal ones are done on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and they are at the end. There are many side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, fatigue etc. but these are only possible and again everyone is different and I won’t know how I will be effected till I have the treatment. I will be staying at the Quinte Lodge, which is a very short walk away from the hospital. It was once the nursing residence. I had a tour yesterday and it is very nice. The rooms are large and have a single bed, a dresser, a desk a phone, and a sink. There is a women only bathroom with a couple of tubs and showers as well as toilets all with doors that can be locked. The worst thing is you cannot use any electronics in your room as wiring is old and they are worried about fire hazards. That means no laptop. I am seriously thinking of a Blackberry Smart phone (It will connect to the new Play Book which I hope to get in a year or so) and a Kindell or Kobo e-book reader. I also have lots of paperback books to take. I do not have to empty my room when I go home so that is good. They have a wonderful dining kitchen area and provide juice, fruit, cereal etc. And suggest you bring frozen dinners and they provide a big freezer and a fridge (with a bin for each room) they have toasters and microwaves and dishes and cutlery and you must use the dishwasher. There are a 3-4 of lounges some with TV and they have activities like Bingo and arts and crafts in the evenings. When I know more I will post the phone number and room number. After the tour we did a bit of shopping and guess what I bought a hat on the assumption it would match the shoes I had at home. What do you think? Pretty good eh! It looks pink in the photo but they are actually more of a peach. My new Easter Bonnet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep Trucking Mom!
Lots of Love!
CW and Family

Anonymous said...

Pat, I wish you the best with the RAI, both external and internal. I have never had external beam, but I have had internal twice and confined to hospital restrictions until a certain amount came out of my body. Will you be staying in this special place when you go for the internal? When I was in the hospital, all lead lined room, of which I understand at that time that Boston only had 2 of these rooms, the staff was very careful explaining it all and how I would have to do things. I was told at that time that the more water you drink the faster the RAI comes out of your body, and I wasn't allowed home until the Geiger counter said I had only a certain amount left. So, all said and done I proceeded with the procedure, and maybe after your's is all done we can compare notes. Don't overdrink the water though as you don't want to dehydrate (by going to the bathroom more often).

My experience was quite funny in a way, as my room was on the heart floor, and I was on a very strict diet and couldn't eat fish at all. The cook in that dept. insisted that I had to eat more fish as that is good for heart patients, and by the time my husband and the dr. finally got through to the kitchen staff that I was not there for heart but for RAI, it was just about time for me to go home and all I ate was fresh fruit and one hard boiled egg still in the shell as I insisted that they leave it in the shell because I didn't want any salt or sodium on anything. Well, I got a call from the kitchen chiding me on that I am only allowed one egg a week being in the heart ward, and I replied that I haven't had an egg for a year because at that time they were saying that the yolks were bad for you. Even today, I make about one omelette about every 6 months and that's our quota of eggs in this household.

I will be interested to hear all about your experience--as you have found out, it's quite a trip to get to the end of the tunnel, and my prayers are with you that this will take care of the problem. You're a strong women, and just keep thinking positive. I am very proud to know you, if even only by www.

Hugs and prayers,
Bernie